The Top 10 Genealogy Research Tips from the Experts
Are you ready to start your family research, but not sure where to begin? Have no fear! We've gathered the top 10 tips from genealogy experts to help you get started.
- Get organized. Before you start your research, it's important to get organized. Create a system for organizing your documents and information. This will save you time and frustration later on. Investigate if there is either an online tool or app that can help you organize your records.
- Start with yourself. The best place to start your research is with yourself. Gather information about your immediate family first. This will give you a foundation to work from. Work backwards and talk with family members to see if other works are underway and if not, it gives you some stories to follow.
- Utilize online resources. There are a wealth of online resources available to help you with your research. Utilize websites like FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com to help you find information about your ancestors. Check out if there is a genealogical society in the area you are searching as well. They too have an abundance of resources.
- Use print resources. In addition to online resources, there are many print resources available. Visit your local library or genealogy society to find books and other materials to help with your research.
- Join a genealogy group. There are many genealogy groups available online and in person. These groups can provide support and assistance as you conduct your research. Even stopping in at your local librarian can help.
- Stay flexible. As you conduct your research, be flexible. Don't be afraid to change your plans if you hit a roadblock. Check out other branches of the families also. The discovery is widespread.
- Be patient. Genealogy research can be time-consuming. Be patient and don't get discouraged if you don't find information right away. I have been searching for my family for 20 years. As new information becomes available it's added to my records.
- Take breaks. Working on your family research can be overwhelming. Take breaks when you need to and come back refreshed.
- Be persistent. If you hit a dead end, don't give up. Be persistent and try different approaches.
- Have fun. Remember, genealogy research is supposed to be fun! Don't take it too seriously and enjoy the journey.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to doing genealogy research, but there are some tips that can help make the process easier and more successful. The experts at FamilySearch have put together a list of ten research tips that can help you get started, including tips on how to organize your research, how to use technology to your advantage, and how to find and use online resources. By following these tips, you can make the most of your genealogy research and find the information you need to build your family tree. So what are you waiting for? Get started today!
Article by Carol Walsh
Carol Walsh is the CEO of Creative Roots, a professional genealogy company. She has a passion for preserving family history and storytelling. Carol's research methodology centers around fact-finding and publishing in a format that readers can use to preserve the stories. Her ultimate goal is to help families connect with their past and each other.