5 Best Family History Websites
The 5 best family history websites
When it comes to tracing your ancestry, there are a number of different family history websites that can be extremely helpful. However, with so many different options out there, it can be tough to know which ones are the best.
That's why, in this blog post, we'll be taking a look at the five best family history websites that can help you trace your ancestry. Whether you're just getting started or you've been researching your family history for years, these websites are sure to be helpful.
There are many family history websites that can be useful for tracing your ancestry. Here is the top five I use in my research:
- FamilySearch is a website run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). It contains millions of records from around the world, including censuses, vital records, and more. You can search for free, and there are also some paid subscription options available.
- Ancestry not only offers a great records search engine, it is also a DNA testing service. By taking a simple DNA test you can learn about your ethnic origins and find relatives who share your genetics.
- FindMyPast is the go-to place for anyone that has ancestry in Ireland or Great Britain and Ireland. As many of our families migrated from the United Kingdom and Ireland, there are over 18 million people registered with records. Some records link to as early as AD 850, the oldest records available.
- MyHeritage is another great website for tracing your ancestry. This site has more than 10 billion historical records available for searching, as well as features like DNA testing and tree-building tools to help you piece together your family history.
- RootsWeb is one of the oldest genealogy websites in existence, having been launched in 1996 as part of AOL's Hometown network. It was acquired by Ancestry in 2000 but continues to operate as an independent entity, with its own message boards and databases. Like FamilySearch, it offers users free access to billions of historical records. However, due to its age, it does not have quite as robust features or user interface when compared to other sites. That said, it's still an excellent resource worth checking out if you're interested in learning more about your ancestors.
There are many websites available to help you trace your ancestry. These are the 5 best websites that can help you find information on your ancestors from around the world. Each site may offer different information, so don't just use one of them. They provide databases of records that you can search through to find information on your family history. So what are you waiting for? Start your search today and see what you can find out about your ancestors!
Article by Carol Walsh
Carol Walsh is the CEO of Creative Roots, a professional genealogy company. She has a passion for preserving family history and storytelling. Carol's research methodology centers around fact-finding and publishing in a format that readers can use to preserve the stories. Her ultimate goal is to help families connect with their past and each other.